Page List

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Week 36: Piñata-ing

Science Class Walk
Piñata time in the courtyard

Last ceremony for our lunch kids
This week was full of: creating Talent Show Workplans, possibly the last three evening meetings at the office of the year, going for a walk with a science class, and our last VIP lounge.

 Quotes of the Week: 
 "I became more independent this year seeing the examples of Mr. Washington and Ms. Lewis." - D, a lunch freshman 


"Haji Ali taught me to share three cups of tea, to slow down and make building relationships as important as building projects.  He taught me that I had more to learn from the people I work with than I could ever hope to teach them." - Greg Mortonson in Three Cups of Tea

"'I request America to look into our hearts,' Abbas continued, his voice straining with emotion, 'and see that the great majority of us are not terrorists, but good and simple people.  Our land is stricken with poverty because we are without education...'" - Syed Abbas, a Pakistani, making a speech in 2001 in Three Cups of Tea

"F** these n***.  F** them all."  - Graffiti inside the subway train.  A startling reminder of how disgusting and ignorant people can be.  I was fuming the whole way home and hoping my students don't board the train. 

Excerpts from kids' Goal Books
- travel the world
- have a big house with a dog and 2 kids
- become a forensic scientist
- learn how to speak in a new language

No comments:

Post a Comment